Friday * October 31st 2014

Looks Like a Go Houston!

Kayaking

Well, it looks like everything is completed on my RV, and I’ll be headed out this morning.  The mechanic called yesterday and I have a new muffler,  leaf springs and shocks.  I’m amazed at how much better the ride is now.  My mechanic Dana is amazing!

My wonderful neighbors helped me get the kayak off the roof of the RV and put on a new cover which was sun and wind damaged.  It looks great and fits perfectly.  My neighbor Marvin “improved” a wooden wine glass rack that I found in a thrift store a couple of years ago.  It’s very cute and functional.

Now I’m doing what I always do before I leave home – go through the “obsessive-compulsive dance” to make sure everything is “perfect” before I leave home.  Did I pack everything?  Is everything turned off?  Did I take out all the trash?  I know part of this is the residual effect of a depressive period in my life many years ago.  I actually had panic attacks that almost labeled me with agoraphobia.  Many years ago, my life was very small and it was torture to leave the safety of home.  Now I understand the anxiety and once I’m “on the road” I’m fine.  Leaving is still difficult.

So now that I’ve barred my soul, please visit often and share my summer sojourn.  (Comments and encouragement would be nice.)  Seriously, please keep me in your prayers and thoughts (or whatever Spirit moves you).

It would also be interesting (you can privately e-mail me in the contact area in the blog header) to know about anyone’s struggle with anxiety or depression.  For several years I “beat myself up” thinking that I was a “weak” person.

The journey begins…

Share the Love!

On the Same Topic...

14 Comments »Journal, Pondering Life, Travel

14 Replies to Desert Diva to “Looks Like a Go Houston!”

1. Cathie UNITED STATES says:

Can’t wait to read about your adventures.

2. Linda W. UNITED STATES says:

much metta for you my friend. As you travel know you are in my thoughts.

May your journey be safe, the food, wine and company the best ever!

3. Luz says:

Safe travels Cheryl and as long as your co-pilot Cali is with you you’ll be safe! The anti-spam word here is beauty! So let go of the reins- (not litteraly in your case) and enjoy the ride and the beauty all around you. I’ve not suffered from depression as you’ve stated so cannot share any tidbits of relief for such but whenever I’m down I find that music and nature bring me out of the doldrums. Finally, I’ll share something I tell me students whenever I find they are beating themselves up. I lift up a desk stapler and tell them, “you would not let me hit you over the head with this stapler, so why are you doing it to yourself?” I usually get a goo chuckle from that comment. By all means prayers and best wishes will be sent your way.

4. Sue says:

OhBoy! Glad you are on your way ! Where all do you plan to go this summer? Or are you just letting the wind take you where it will??
    I have a very close friend who is agoraphobic and suffers severe anxiety . She is in her 50’s . Allways had depressions problems and seems to have gotten worse with the anxiety.
    What did you finally do to help yourself with this??? I mean, this friend would never go off in an rv or anywhere by herself.
    I have sufferred from some depression in the past but these days only seem to get it in little bouts. I went thru breast cancer twice and it actually seems to have helped me to face things better. The small things are just not worrying over is the way I see it. And the future is not to much worth worrying over either since you realy dont know what it will hold.
    Thinking of you and your fabulous journey ahead. I lived in an rv in 95 and 96 and am actually planning to do it again as well , maybe in a year or two. But, for me , it will be the rv only. I do not own a home to come back to . Just renting.

5. Judy says:

I’m so jealous. Have a good time and a safe trip. Go where the road leads you and enjoy your life.

6. I don’t need to tell you privately. I have had problems with depression since I was in my early 20’s (right after I got married the first time), and I do have problems with anxiety now. I am able to control anxiety now with St. Johnswort and choice of thoughts, and that makes me one of the lucky ones. My life situation and partner has been good for many years, and so depression hasn’t shown up for a long time.

Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck´s last blog post ..Fighting back gently.

7. Hazel UNITED STATES says:

Congrats! I totally understand the panic at leaving for a trip. It may be a ‘women’s thing’ because we’re responsible for so much of the organization at home. Even for a day trip my hubby just walks out the door…”I’m ready!”…while I do all the house checks, make sure we have water, snacks, coffee, lunches, raincoats, sunglasses, yada, yada. I find it hard to leave too, but as you say, as you as you hit the road life is good again. Enjoy!

8. Geri Moore-Hajek UNITED STATES says:

Glad to hear you are in the final minutes before take off! Being on the road is the most exciting life I know! I/We love it! I can’t imagine being content in one place for very long. Sometimes even the 6 month commitment for workamping seems a bit too long! I love your photo header of Newspaper Rock! We will be in Zion until Oct., if you are ever this way…. come on by!

9. Geri Moore-Hajek UNITED STATES says:

WoW! Just read on your live traffic feed that you are in Virgin UT, that’s where we are at Zion River Resort! No cell phone service here!
    We would love to say howdy while you are in town! RVSue leaves tomorrow!

10. sue CANADA says:

good luck on the first leg of your journey..may you have many safe miles ahead and great views out the windshield!

11. Greg says:

Hope things are going smoothly – are feeling any consequence from the Ruidoso fires?

12. LeAnn UNITED STATES says:

The road awaits…..safe travels to you, and enjoy the journey. You have most definitely earned it! Diego sends licks to Cali!

13. Darrell says:

You’re definitely not a “weak” person.

I believe we all find “tricks of the trade” to help us catch the curve balls of life.

I hope you have safe travels and plenty of evenings where you can say, “it was a good day”.

Peaceful dreams :)

14. Lynda UNITED STATES says:

I lived so much of my life driven by fear, anxiety, and panic attacks. I honestly feel that the desire to travel and take photos from places that I normally would avoid, has helped tremendously. Have a wonderful summer!

• desert diva & cali

photo ddandc_zps31df39b9.jpg One woman's journey on the "road of life..."
  • amazon.com!

AmazonRound160

Please consider (if you buy items on Amazon.com) purchasing through my website store.

Please click on this Amazon.com link and add it to your bookmarks or favorites. From then on, whenever you use my link to go to Amazon.com and shop, your cost will stay exactly the same, but I'll receive a small percentage (4%-6%) of Amazon's profits.

Thank you for your generous support!

• reading now

• how i roll

How I Roll...
    RV License Plate
  • i choose

photo ichoose_zps721d01ad.jpg

• life “is” good!

photo life-is-good1_zps1bbec756.jpg

• live traffic feed

• flickr photos

www.flickr.com
    desertdiva's items Go to desertdiva's photostream