Thursday * March 4th 2021

Winnemucca Woes

Calamity Jane

Cali and I were traveling though Winnemucca, Nevada on 9/11.  Although our experience was nothing like the horrible attack on our country many years ago, we did have a “brush with disaster.”

Sometimes, one wonders about fate – how is one aligned to be in a certain place at a certain time for an “event.”  I had stopped for gas at a Maverick Store, but alas it was a smaller one and they had no frozen yogurt machine.  (On a dry, hot, long drive Maverick’s frozen yogurt is delicious and only $1.00 for a cone!)  The cashier told me there was another Maverick store near, and they indeed had frozen yogurt.  So, my Cali girl and I made a beeline to the other store.  (Cali had vanilla of course!)

The day was sunny and we sat on the curb of a side street enjoying our cool treat.  We were ready to move on and I was gesturing Cali to hop into the rig when a truck with a flatbed trailer came flying down the side street making tons of noise.  Before I could stop her Cali ran a couple of feet to the trailer and proceed to bark at it.

Somehow, she got underneath the flatbed and I saw her roll and come out the other side.  She was limping and whimpering.  My hands were trembling, but I found Keystone Animal Hospital only 1.3 miles away on my cell phone.  I called as I drove, and they took her right in.  I’m surprised they understood me as I was crying hysterically.

As it turned out, her injuries were superficial.  She had a cut next to her left eye (very, very close) and since she’s almost eleven and has some arthritis in her hind legs she was sore.  The vet gave her an injection to calm her and help with the pain, and then treated her cut and gave her an x-ray.  It’s a miracle, but she came out virtually unscathed.

We were on our way with some antibiotics, arthritis pain medication, and a topical spray for the cut.  Cali whimpered some the first evening, but the next day jumped up and down from the seats in the rig – although I tried to make her let me lift her.

We’ve been “best friends” since she was just a puppy at six weeks old.  I cried later that night – it was a mixture of thankfulness and fear that I’d almost lost her.  For those who aren’t pet owners, it’s difficult to explain the bond…

19 Comments »Travel

19 Replies to Desert Diva to “Winnemucca Woes”

1. Lisa says:

God bless her! I am so glad she is okay. How terrifying that must have been for both of you! Big hugs!

• Desert Diva says:

Lisa – I’m sure that I was more terrified than Cali. She’s a pretty tough little character. Thanks so much for your concern. I need to send you a personal e-mail to find out how YOU are doing! 🙂 Cheryl

2. OMG! What a close call! Life spins on a dime! So very hard not to take life for granted, yet it can change so fast! So glad Cali is ok and that you have reason for joy and more time to love your best friend!

3. Kelly CANADA says:

Oh, what a close call, I could feel your frightening scare…

4. Susan UNITED STATES says:

I am so glad she is okay. That must have been so frightening. Things can happen so quick. Thank goodness she is fine.

• Desert Diva says:

Thanks Susan for taking the time to comment – I appreciate your concern. Right or wrong, I don’t know if I’ve ever loved anything as much as my “terror-mix” Cali. 🙂 Cheryl

5. Judy says:

Glad to hear Cali was not seriously injured. I know how much she means to you and I know I would be devastated if anything happened to Fancy.

• Desert Diva says:

Aw Judy – thanks for your comment. I “do” love Cali – almost too much I fear. I hope you are having fun on the WIN circuit. I just got home yesterday, and will venture out again around Thanksgiving. Take care and have fun! 🙂 Cheryl

6. Jean CANADA says:

I can just imagine the horror when you saw poor Cali go under the trailer. Thankfully she wasn’t hurt.

7. Gaelyn says:

My heart had dropped as I feared for Cali and you. So glad she’s a resilient gal.
    Gaelyn´s last blog post ..Fall on the North Kaibab National Forest

8. OMG… what a frightening ordeal. Luck? Fate? doesn’t matter… the outcome is good.
    Mark
    Box Canyon Mark´s last blog post .."Smuggler’s Blues;" A Long Ride To Telluride

• Desert Diva says:

It was frightening. I’m not a “religious” person, but I feel that someone was watching out for both of us – and for that I’m thankful.

9. patb says:

As I was reading “Bayfield Bunch” saw his comments about little Cali’s accident. I’m so thankful she’s ok. Our pets give us so much love and companionship.

10. terrie says:

oh, you two girls…..I am so glad Cali escaped that tragedy….otherwise someone at the Maverick would have had to bury you right there on the spot…..Cali will probably be thrilled to wear her leash from now on….both of you girls stay safe….lots of love and gratitude….(also I have been at my Mother’s w/o computer for a week…so I am just seeing this today the 26th)

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Terrie – Have I ever told you how much I really miss you and Ray? I do believe that there was “divine intervention” that took place that day, and my sweet Cali girl is meant to be with me for awhile. We still have lessons to learn from each other. Love, Cheryl

11. […] yogurt, but a flatbed trailer came around the corner and I went for it!  Dang!  I managed to roll under the trailer and come out the other side, but I had some superficial injuries.  My mom took me to an emergency […]