Saturday * August 23rd 2014

Random Acts of Kindness…

I was the recipient of a “Random Act of Kindness”

I don’t know why it’s difficult for me to leave home – I’ll just attribute it to the panic disorder I had in my early thirties and let it go at that.  Each morning I would wake up and push back my departure for one more day – my heart just wasn’t into adventure and travel.  I wanted to leave, but somehow couldn’t.

While I’m not as good of a Christian as I want to be – I still seek the spiritual in my life.  While I’m not a huge believer in divine intervention, I do believe that God/Spirit/Universe can touch us in ways when we need it the most.

I filled my RV with gas at Sam’s Club in Las Cruces, and then went inside for a soft drink.  A gentleman (and I use that term literally) told me to go ahead in front of him.  (He worked in the hearing aid department.)   I told him “thanks” and I was just getting a soft drink.  He replied “just a soft drink?”  “Are you sure you don’t want anything else?”

He then told the cashier he was paying for my drink as a “random act of kindness.”

Tears began to well up in my eyes, and I gave him a hug and thanked him.   I told him I was feeling a bit blue, and his act made a difference in my day.  The heaviness in my heart cleared and I was ready to travel.

Just like that!

I took off for Albuquerque and boondocked at the Isleta Casino.  I decided that my free parking was worth $5.00.  However, in an hour or so I turned my initial “investment” into $100.00!  Yippy Skippy!

When I went to bed I tried to turn on my refrigerator, and try as I might I couldn’t get it lit.  The wind was blowing and rocking the RV, so I just went to bed.  The next morning I called an RV repair service in Albuquerque.  The owner said he was booked up, but would look at it to see if he could get it to light – if not I’d have to make an appointment.

The wire for the pizzo lighter was a little off kilter – he fixed that and it lit!  :-)  He wouldn’t take any payment, so I thanked and hugged him.  I was on my way – another “random act of kindness!”

I was on my way to Farmington…

Co-Pilot!

Did I tell you that I have a very alert and consciousness co-pilot?

The drive to Farmington was beautiful along Highway 550 – perfect temperatures and lots of beautiful cloud formations in the sky.

Road to Farmington

Sometimes I’m amazed by the natural beauty of New Mexico

Every night recently before I go to sleep, I listen to “The Soul of Healing Affirmations” by Deepak Chopra on my iPod.  Don’t get excited, I’m not joining some sort of esoteric community.  I’m just trying to find a little more balance and peace in my life.  Aren’t we all?

I think it’s working for me…

YouTube Preview Image

Share the Love!

28 Comments »Journal, Spirituality, Travel

28 Replies to Desert Diva to “Random Acts of Kindness…”

1. Gay and Joe UNITED STATES says:

So glad to hear you are on your way…there are so many nice people in the world. I don’t even watch the news anymore…it’s way too troubling. Anyhow, thanks for sharing you meetings with the folks we never hear about…we all need to pass those moments along!

Safe travels to Oregon!

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Yes, I’m finally on my way. I’m ready for the road and am feeling blessed…

• Lynn says:

The unknown always shakes the foundations a little bit. I think that is a good thing. I always get nervous when I land somewhere I have never been before and it always takes me a day or so to find my comfort zone. That is why travel is so good for the soul, it forces you to overcome and take a chance. The more exotic the destination, the more I feel I have conquered the world. Have fun!!
        Lynn´s last blog post ..RV School – Part 2 – A class about gas

2. Sandie UNITED STATES says:

The Lord does watch over us and sends us angels when we really need them. New Mexico is one of my favorite states – it just gets too cold for me in the winter time. And it really is a windy state. but other than that LOL.

Hi Sandie,

I live in the Southern part (Las Cruces) so the winters are mild. Now the wind is another matter altogether! ;-)

Cheryl

3. Sheila UNITED STATES says:

What a beautiful and sweet looking co-pilot you’ve got there. And real attentive-LOL

A random act of kindness. Truly lovely. He must have known, some how, you needed a little kindness! With all of the negative things going on, it is always wonderful to hear about the positive.

So glad you are on the road! Be safe, drive safe and have fun!
    Sheila´s last blog post ..SBS:~Western Kingbird~

Hi Sheila,

My “co-pilot” sleeps 99 9/10 of the time! I’ve just started my journey and already I feel blessed! :-)

Cheryl

4. Contessa CANADA says:

There you go, you just needed a touch of love. You are a special soul and the universe just showed you that. :heart:
    Contessa´s last blog post ..One way to make a living

5. Paul Dahl says:

You’ve just received a little payback for all the nice things you’ve done for other people all your life. Enjoy! :c)
    Paul Dahl´s last blog post ..Guest Writer

Hi Paul,

I “do” try to be a good person. I have to say I was touched by the kindness more than words can say.

Have a great weekend!
      Cheryl

6. Gaelyn says:

So glad you found the right fix to get on the road. There’s no such thing as coincidence, so pass it along.
    Gaelyn´s last blog post ..The Owl House: an unusual artistic vision of a personal Mecca

Hi Gaelyn,

I hope you’re doing well. You’re absolutely correct – there are no “coincidences.”

Have a great weekend!
      Cheryl

7. Greg UNITED STATES says:

Not sure who you called in Albuquerque for the RV repair…but I highly recommend Rocky Mountain RV there…..they were very good to us at short notice whilst passing through

• Greg UNITED STATES says:

hmmmmm seems I need to brush up on reading comprehension before posting…. :-)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for commenting – I called Tom’s RV (29 years in business). He was the nicest guy! However, it’s always good to know a good repair lead.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cheryl

8. Dave UNITED STATES says:

Wow, what a delightful story. God is awesome, and there are still good people out there in this crazy world….nothing more that I can add to that.

You had me worried a bit, thought you had a major breakdown or even worse, a wreck. Thank goodness it was not either of those. Enjoy your trip, enjoy the sights.
    We are back in the hot valley again, 100+ in Loomis, but it is nice to be back with mom and dad. Take care, drive safe. –Dave (GoingRvWay.com – Skruffy says arf arf arf)
    Dave´s last blog post ..Bucks Lake

Hi Dave,

God is good – and I have to remember to “count my blessings.” Sorry to hear you are back in the heat, but treasure the time you spend with your parents – you can never get those precious moments back again.

Cheryl

9. Nothing like a random act of kindness to left your spirits.
    Glad to hear that you are on the road, and getting paid $100. to park for the night is excellent!
    George & Suzie´s last blog post ..More company, putter around,a boat ride, swim and tasty chicken on our Weber Q, too much fun!

Hi George,

Yep, I was “hot” at the casino. Not that it will happen again anytime soon! :-) I did the “machine hop” and every time I put my slip in I would hit a small jackpot. However, one woman who was playing $1.80 a spin hit a progressive of approximately $3,500.00! That’s OK, I’m a “cheap” gambler!

Cheryl

10. Jo UNITED STATES says:

It really does make a difference in a day when someone does something wonderful for us no matter how small the act.

I’m so happy to hear you are on the move now.

Waiting to sell this trailer so I can get a towable and be on my way.

Safe Travels

Hi Jo,

When someone shows that they care it does make my day. It’s like “warm fuzzies in my heart. Thank you for your words of encouragement, and I hope you sell your trailer soon and are “on your way!”

Cheryl

11. Great sentiments. And, if I’m really honest with myself, I get just as much pleasure, if not more, when I am the one extending random acts of kindness. The reference to “heart songs” in my blog indicates that my heart sings whilst I do volunteer work – or simply allow somebody in front of me in line.
    God, the Universe, the Greater Power, whatever we call IT, works in mysterious ways – who am I to question? But, a sure-fire way to change my spirits for the day/week/month is to concentrate on what I might be able to do for another. Am I successful all the time? No, unfortunately not; but then there’s the saying, “If at once you don’t succeed, try try again.”
    mary-pat sherman´s last blog post ..Home Sweet Home At Last

Hi Mary-Pat,

I’m so glad you commented. I too find happiness and peace in doing for others. However, sometimes it’s nice to have the energy reciprocated. I’m settling into life on the road and hope to possibly meet up with you later on.

Cheryl

12. Donna K UNITED STATES says:

Great post and so glad you were the recipient of a couple of random acts of kindness…and a good day in the casino as well!! Some days are better than others and I’m glad you had some good ones.

Hi Donna,

Yes, sometimes people are amazingly kind – if you give them a chance! I don’t know what it is about playing penny slots – I just like to hear the ding, ding, ding! ;-)

Our lives are what we make them – with the grace of God!

Cheryl

13. Donna in W. Texas says:

I am a new reader to your blog (found you through comments in RVSue’s blog) but I just had to comment that I have only known one other person in my life to use Yippy Skippy! She was a friend who lived in Pasadena, CA and worked for years for Girl Scouts (where you could not swear). I am enjoying journeying with you.

Hi Donna,

I love Yippy Skippy! OK, I was a second grade teacher and I guess it shows…

Thanks for reading and commenting and come back soon! :-)

• desert diva & cali

photo ddandc_zps31df39b9.jpg One woman's journey on the "road of life..."
  • amazon.com!

AmazonRound160

Please consider (if you buy items on Amazon.com) purchasing through my website store.

Please click on this Amazon.com link and add it to your bookmarks or favorites. From then on, whenever you use my link to go to Amazon.com and shop, your cost will stay exactly the same, but I'll receive a small percentage (4%-6%) of Amazon's profits.

Thank you for your generous support!

• reading now

• how i roll

How I Roll...
    RV License Plate
  • i choose

photo ichoose_zps721d01ad.jpg

• life “is” good!

photo life-is-good1_zps1bbec756.jpg

• live traffic feed

• flickr photos

www.flickr.com
    desertdiva's items Go to desertdiva's photostream