Saturday * January 22nd 2022

Not a Happy Camper…

nothappy

I didn’t want to “tarnish my blog” by writing about my crappy time, but Contessa from 5 C’s Que Pasa? has sent me a private regarding my missing in action status.

I’m so sorry – I was tired and totally stressed out.  Please feel free to skip out anytime you wish…

Here’s the scoop for those who have nothing else to do but read sad blog stories.

1. In Lincoln City I heard that little grinding sound that shouted that I needed to have my brakes checked.  It didn’t matter that I told my mechanic in Las Cruces to check out my RV (they apparently didn’t want to take off the rear dually wheels).  Rear brakes = $310.00 at Les Schwab Tire Center.  (It’s where folks in the area told me to go.   I was there from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. but I have kick a$$ rear brakes now.  The front ones are fine.)
  2. At Les Schwab Tire Center they noticed that my rear two dually tires on my right side needed replacing.  I contacted Discount Tire and order two new ones from Salem.  The guy was really nice and gave me a discount.  The “explanation” was that this is the “heavy” side of my RV with the stove and fridge, and the tires wear faster.  (June 2010 and only 30,000 miles.)  Two Yokahama D rated tires = $250.00.  (On a side note, when they replaced the two tires they managed to break the dually valve stem.  It had to be special ordered and I having it installed in Tucson.)  When I arrived in Tucson there was a dime-sized chunk out of the sidewall of my left outer dually tire.  They’re replacing it under the road hazard warranty, but I have to wait for the tire to arrive from California.
  3. It never rains in New Mexico, but it sure does on the Oregon Coast.  My roof leaked and went through the escape hatch/vent to repair it (as opposed to climbing up the rear ladder).  The hatch came off the track and I duct (or duck) taped it to the roof so an RV repair could put it back on.  It blew off on the drive down to Newport and a “less than reliable” RV person put an old beat up vent on, taped and put some putty on it and charged me over $100.00 to fix it.  It rattled, leaked, etc…  I called a place in Portland and found the right part, ordered it, and made an appointment to install it.  In the interim the lock on the motor home door malfunctioned so we threw that in also.  Total cost with two hours labor = $420.00.    I called the person in Newport and confronted him on his shoddy repair and his response was basically “tough.”  I issued a stop payment order on the check, and he never responded.  He KNEW he did a bad repair.  As a side note a guy where I was camping (who I later pegged to be a “womanizer,” offered to install the hatch/vent but backed out.)  At first I was upset, but I’m slowly learning to “expect nothing” when it comes to people.

So, in the span of a little over a week I dropped $1,000.00.  🙁

There were other little incidents that happened, that colored my mood but I’ll just tell you about the aforementioned incidents.  Every day seemed like a struggle (yes, I finally arrived home at 11:00 p.m. last night) and I’m totally exhausted.

I’m sorry for the “missing in action” status of my blog and for not responding to my friends in the blog-o-sphere, but I think the operative word was “depressed.”  It took all of my energy just to get by day-to-day.

33 Comments »Journal

33 Replies to Desert Diva to “Not a Happy Camper…”

1. Paul Dahl UNITED STATES says:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. They happen to all of us, we’ve had a string of bad luck lately, too. Including a propane leak that had we not discovered it in time could have blown up our motorhome, with us inside it! :cO

The “joy” of RV living. ;c)
    Paul Dahl´s last blog post ..Testing An LP Leak Detector

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

The memory of bad times fades as I’m relaxing at home. I must be getting old – I actually slept for hours and hours in my “own bed.” 🙂 I’m glad that you discovered the propane leak before a disaster happened. Happy travels to you! 🙂

2. Sandie UNITED STATES says:

I am so sorry to hear about all your problems. It’s totally understandable why you were depressed. But you are home, safe and now you need to take lots of time to relax and breath again. We are glad to hear from you and know that you, yourself, are okay.

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Thanks Sandie – I just need some time at home to recoup and relax. My bed (at home) feels like heaven. 🙂 I’m sure I’ll be out and over the holidays, but it does feel good to be home. The weather here is “perfect!” 🙂

3. Gaelyn says:

It seems that it never rains that it doesn’t pour. Sorry so many problems had to come at once. Welcome Home.
    Gaelyn´s last blog post ..Dressing for fall on the North Kaibab Forest

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Yes, sometimes problems come all at once it seems. I’m good at attacking issues one at a time, but felt overwhelmed with so many problems at once. I’ve tried to follow up on you and your health issue, and I hope you’re feeling better these days…

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

4. When it rains it pours but you now have problems resolved.
    Too bad that there is people take advantage or some people on the road.
    You are home safe and sound cheer up and all will be good tomorrow.
    Noe get back on the road and try again, safe travels!
    George & Suzie´s last blog post ..Sunshine, great weather and my new recipe Blog.

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Yes, when everything “hits at once” it is a bit overwhelming. However, things are much better and I’m home with my comfy bed and “take as long as I want” shower! 😉 I will be back on the road for the holidays – probably around Yuma. Safe travels as you make your transition travels to the southwest…

5. Steve UNITED STATES says:

I came over from Al’s blog to read about the rough time you had. I am sorry to hear all of the problems of bad repair jobs. Its ironic, after reading your post and I just blogged earlier tonight about options of selling my house to go fulltime in an RV I just bought last Saturday … makes me wonder if I should keep my house. Even if it’s in the Midwest and 99% of my travels will be in the western part of the states. No matter where you are located, it’s hard to find good quality repair on anything. Chill out at home for a week or two, then hit the road.
    Steve´s last blog post ..Even Where the RV Sits My Options Increase

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Hi Steve – Thanks for visiting. It is (was) discouraging to find that people will take advantage of you on the road. However, there are people that are just the opposite – friendly and helpful. It was just a bad streak, and now it’s over. I actually moved from Indianapolis to Las Cruces several years ago. Since my townhome is here, I plan to keep it and do trips from it as a base. Spring and fall are beautiful here, and I plan to stay home until mid-November than strike out for the holidays (probably Yuma area). When the dust settles a bit, I’m going to come over and read your blog… 🙂

6. Contessa CANADA says:

Welcome back to your nest!

So sorry you had all of those problems but really it can always be worse. Yet I know it has taken a toll on you, your nerves and your energy. Don’t give up on Rving. Take a while to regroup and get ready to hit the road again.

Lots of love and hugs.
    Contessa´s last blog post ..No post due to…

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Hi Contessa – Nah, I’m too feisty to give up on RV-ing. It was just a bad streak and now it’s over! I need to learn how to Skype so I can talk with you sometime. Take care of that eye! Thanks for being there and making me feel not so “all alone” on the road…

7. Wheelingit UNITED STATES says:

What a bummer! Hope this in the end of it and you can start to enjoy some carefree camping again.
    Nina
    Wheelingit´s last blog post ..Fall Plans & The Call Of The Mountains…

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Nina – thanks so very much for visiting and you kind comments – I do appreciate them! It’s not so much the incidents, but the flurry of everything at once that got to me. I’m loving my little Las Cruces townhome, but plan to be out again over the holidays… Safe travels! 🙂

8. Tom says:

Poop Happens, but your OK. Some times things break, but the trick is finding someone who knows how to correctly fix the problem. Get some rest and regroup, some new travel plans will come to mind.

9. Donna K UNITED STATES says:

Oh man – so sorry Oregon was not good to you. Glad you were able to stop payment on that check. Somehow, it’s always good to be home, even though the open road still calls.
    Donna K´s last blog post ..Arch Rock–another coastal beauty spot

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Hi Donna – I still love Oregon. Life “happens” anywhere and I need to count my blessings. Eventually, I got everything sorted out and I’m safe. I’m not happy about the cost, but it’s only money and it’s all fixed now. It IS good to be home, but I’m sure I’ll be out traveling again in a few weeks. In the meantime, it’s lovely here – lows around 60 degrees and highs in the low 80’s. 🙂

10. Nan UNITED STATES says:

Man, what a time you have had. It seems like when it rains, it pours. After the downpours we have had running from the Yellowstone snow, we have discovered 2 leaks in our roof. Time to climb up top and check things out. (are we having fun yet?)

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Yes, it was all upsetting but it’s over and done. The only thing to do now is “move on.” Gee, I hate roof leaks – hope you find where yours is leaking and get it all patched up soon!

11. Sheila says:

Glad you are home safe and not injured. Get up in the morning and do your meditation and things will be better. I hope to see you blogging soon! 🙂
    Sheila´s last blog post ..The Backbone…..

• Desert Diva UNITED STATES says:

Hi Sheila – I am home and safe. That’s a blessing that I need to embrace. I fell out of my meditation practice when I got “stressed,” which of course is when I needed it the most. Time to get “back on track!” 🙂

12. Carla says:

Wow, glad you made it home safely. Now that you’ve had the ‘bad’ trip, may all the rest be fun, relaxing and enjoyable!

13. Oh Cheryl, I’m sorry and I can surely empathize with RV (and tow vehicle) problems. I’m currently in Boise area and need work done on my newly installed (2 mos ago) backup camera so I called camping World here and they can take me Tuesday!!! I asked if I were to just drive in would somebody be able to just check that it might be a loose connection. He said, “Yes, you can drive in but we may not get to it today.” So, I’m deciding whether to bother or just go with the sporadically working backup camera until I can get to Salt Lake City Camping World. This is so frustrating. Are you back in Las Cruces to stay now?
    mary-pat sherman´s last blog post ..New or Repeat Saga

14. butterbean carpenter says:

Howdy DD,

But just think of all of the TANGOING you got to do, on this trip!!!!!

Not even a leaky vent can take that smile from your face, can it!!!!

And the wonder & beauty of the Oregon Coast, fresh fruits & veggies.

Glad you got through with all of the ‘troubles’ and back to the home ‘ranch’.. Now, you can unlax and have several HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!!

15. Lynn says:

Good you stopped the cheque, I hate paying for shoddy workmanship. Sometimes they think because you are a woman, you won’t notice.
    Home is where the heart is. I always think the best part of traveling is coming home. Sorry to hear your trip was frustrating! Your next time out will make up for it, I am sure!!

Lynn
    Lynn´s last blog post ..Where to next?

16. Had meant to leave a comment Friday but apparently I forgot. Know that feeling of being overwhelmed & taken advantage of. To me, problems always somehow seem to be bigger & more unsettling on the road. Kelly actually handles the stress better than I do. She is able to approach mechanical problems more logically than I am. Always considered myself very independent in my travels years ago but have to admit I would be hard pressed now to go it alone like a lot of you folks do. I find it much easier traveling with someone these days. And yet sometimes I long for that fierce independence I once was so proud of…………………….
    Bayfield Bunch AL´s last blog post ..SOME GREAT EGRETS, SOME FIERY COLORS, & RESPONDING TO EMAILS

17. Lynda says:

So glad you’re OK and home safe and sound. I, also, had wondered what was going on around Lincoln City. Great town, but the weather does get depressing, not to mention all the other stuff you had going on. Glad you plan to keep traveling and tango on!